Northern Communities: Towards Social and Economic Prosperity–Special Call
This is a one-time call for proposals on northern communities. The call will provide funding to support research excellence, develop talent and mobilize knowledge in ways that contribute to a better understanding of the pressing social and economic needs of northern communities.
SSHRC has developed four special funding opportunities for 2008 as an initial step in support of research excellence leading to greater impact in addressing the social and economic development needs of northern communities. Over the next year, SSHRC will engage in discussions with the social sciences and humanities community, and others, to develop a longer-term strategy for investments in these areas.
SSHRC invites researchers active in the social sciences and humanities to apply for support through four funding opportunities being offered in 2008 only. Application deadlines for these programs are in November 2008. SSHRC will privilege proposals that work or build links with northern communities, organizations and/or individuals in a manner that is consistent with the objectives of this call. The research should be undertaken with sensitivity to the perspectives and experiences of northerners and, where appropriate, in partnership with northern researchers and the public, private and not-for-profit sectors.
SSHRC invites applications on social sciences and humanities dimensions of government priority areas or others that are demonstrably a priority for northern Canada. These can be studied from a variety of approaches, and with respect to any sector or population group. Examples include but are not limited to:
- social and economic issues, needs and problems in a northern context (e.g., housing and infrastructure, education, language, justice, demographics and aging, violence, suicide, addictions, population health, food, poverty);
- integration of the northern and global economy (e.g., resources, wage-economies and monetization of social and cultural practices);
- sustainable development in a northern context;
- climate change impacts, mitigation and adaptations;
- talent development, labour, and training for northern communities;
- governance, sovereignty, international boundary and security issues; and
- indigenous peoples (environmental, social, economic and cultural practices and adaptations).
The following four funding opportunities for this special call are being offered in 2008 only, with deadlines in November 2008. More information and specific deadlines are available at the following links:
1.Northern Communities: Towards Social and Economic Prosperity– Research Development Initiative Grants
2. Northern Communities: Towards Social and Economic Prosperity– Research Grants
3.Northern Communities: Towards Social and Economic Prosperity– Community-University Research Alliances (CURA)
4.Northern Communities: Towards Social and Economic Prosperity–Public Outreach Grants
Please contact Karen Kueneman, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you plan to apply for one of these opportunities.