The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council’s (SSHRC) Aid to Workshops and Conferences program’s broad purpose is to support workshops held in and outside of Canada, and conferences held in Canada.
The funding opportunity’s specific objectives are to:
- advance research and scholarship on issues of intellectual, cultural and social importance by facilitating direct interaction among researchers and students, both from Canada and abroad;
- promote research development, linkages and knowledge mobilization among disciplines and across institutions, sectors, linguistic groups and regions; and
- enhance the visibility and profile of social sciences and humanities research.
Faculty of Education Assoc Dean’s Office: 1 week prior to agency deadline (2-3 weeks if you wish feedback on your application – submit to Karen Kueneman)
Research Development & Services: no less than 3 days prior to agency deadline.
SSHRC: November 9, 2011 (for a decision end of January 2012)
The value and period of tenure of a workshop grant is up to $25,000 for a workshop held within 12 months following the announcement of competition results.
The values and periods of tenure of conference grants are:
- up to $25,000 for a conference of up to 200 participants that is held within 12 months following the announcement of competition results;
- up to $35,000 for a conference of 201 to 400 participants that is held within 12 months following the announcement of competition results; and
- up to $50,000 for a conference of more than 400 participants that is held within the 12 months following the announcement of competition results.
Workshops must have a well-defined research theme in the social sciences or humanities; be invitational, with no registration fees required; and produce a concrete deliverable.
Conferences must have one or more defined themes relevant to scholarly research issues in the social sciences or humanities; be held in Canada; and be open to all interested and qualified researchers, i.e., involve a call for papers (though it is recognized that keynote speakers may be invited). Conferences must charge registration fees and must not be an association’s annual meeting.
Online Applications are to be processed through Research Development Services for institutional signatures, and are to be accompanied by a completed ROLA application.