The Connection Grants funding opportunity has been launched and the description is now available on the SSHRC website .
Amount: $7,000 to $25,000 for events, and up to $50,000 for other outreach activities
Deadline: Continuous intake
Description: Connection Grants support events and outreach activities geared toward short-term, targeted knowledge mobilization initiatives. These events and activities represent opportunities to exchange knowledge and to engage on research issues of value to those participating. Events and outreach activities funded by a Connection Grant may often serve as a first step toward more comprehensive and longer-term projects potentially eligible for funding through other SSHRC funding opportunities. Connection Grants support workshops, colloquiums, conferences, forums, summer institutes or other events or outreach activities.
Eligibility: The applicant must be eligible to hold a research grant at Western.
A ROLA proposal must accompany the Full Application.
Changes to the program: While SSHRC is pleased by the success of the first year of the Connection funding opportunity, it led to an unprecedented demand for this type of grant. Given available financial resources, and to avoid a temporarily suspension of the competition, the following adjustments were introduced:
- Individuals may only be applicant / project director and co-applicant on one (1) active Connection Grant (individual or institutional) at a time. Furthermore, an applicant / project director may apply for only one Connection Grant per calendar year.
- The maximum value of a Connection grant for an event is now $25,000. The value of a Connection grant for other outreach activity will remain at $50,000 (with higher amounts considered on an exceptional basis).
- SSHRC will not fund the full cost of any connection event or outreach activity. Additional support in the form of cash and /or in kind contributions (excluding registration fees) equivalent to a minimum of 50 per cent of the amount requested from SSHRC must come from other sources, such as sponsors.
- Results will normally be announced to candidates within 16 weeks from confirmed receipt of the application.
- Funding decisions will be announced four times per year, i.e., in June, September, December and March. For the current fiscal year, which is ending on March 31, 2014, approximately $1,000,000 will be awarded in grants for each of the three remaining announcements.