This information supersedes previous communication from SSHRC about this process.
After much analysis and reflection, SSHRC has reconsidered the planned onboarding schedule and decided not to use the Research Portal for the next SSHRC Insight Grants competition. Instead, they will continue to use the existing online, legacy application system for this competition.
Please note that this decision affects the IG application process only: the previous communications about IG program changes (e.g., maximum dollar value, etc.) remain in effect.
What this means for the Insight Grants application process
SSHRC had hoped to make several improvements to the IG application process while onboarding the funding opportunity to the Research Portal. In light of this change to the application process, some of these changes will be adopted, while others will not.
The following chart summarizes these changes:
|Previously announced changes for Insight Grants funding competition||Process for this year’s Insight Grants funding competition|
|Elimination of the Notice of Intent (NOI) phase for IG||Will proceed with this change.|
|IG applications submitted through Research portal||Applicants will use existing online application system.|
|CCV required for applicants and co-applicants||
SSHRC CV required for applicants and co-applicants.
|No Canadian CCVs for collaborators||
Collaborators will receive an invitation to participate and fill out a profile.
|New module for identifying research teams||
will retain existing module, entitled “Research team, student training, previous output.”
SSHRC is committed to bringing the Insight Grants funding opportunity onto the Research Portal as soon as possible; work to facilitate this continues to be a top priority at SSHRC.
Summary – What this means for Researchers:
1. The Common CV will NOT be required for the Fall 2015 SSHRC Insight Grant.
2. Applications will be submitted via the SSHRC web-based forms (the same system as last year’s Fall 2014 competition)
3. The SSHRC CV that is populated in the web-based forms will be used for this year’s Fall 2015 competition and will be mandatory for all applicants and co-applicants
4. Collaborators will accept an invitation for the Insight Grant and fill out a profile. There is no further information on the Collaborator piece at this time.
5. The existing “team module” will be used to describe the research team. i.e. there is no new section for the team description within the Insight Grant application.
Please note that the following decisions are still in place for the Fall 2015 SSHRC Insight Competition:
1. Reduction of the maximum grant funded to $400,000 total
2. Reduction of the annual maximum to $100,000 per year
3. Implementation of a committee budget envelope to encourage greater scrutiny of grant budgets. This year (Fall 2015) committees will be given a budget envelope (which was not part of the evaluation process in recent years). Committees will be discouraged from making any flat cuts to grant budgets.